Photo contest prizes total $1,100
All roads lead to SAC entry theme promotes VIA commute in lieu of personal vehicles.
Published: Monday, September 17, 2012
Updated: Monday, September 17, 2012 11:09
The public relations office at this college could pay for your gas or other expenses when you compete in a photo contest to promote using VIA Metropolitan Transit for commuting to the college.
Contest entries must illustrate the theme “All roads lead to SAC.”
The office of public relations said the concept is up to the contestants but offered three potential ideas:
• Riding VIA is a good option.
• Make new friends on the parking lot shuttle.
• Put the commute to college to good use.
According to San Antonio gas prices website, the average price for regular gas is $3.65 per gallon, a penny lower than the highest price of gas last month.
“When using VIA, you’re saving time, money and gas …” VIA public information coordinator Andy Scheidt said. “It’s a break in your day without having to worry about the stress of parking.
“Using the VIA saves transportation costs, such as the cost of the maintenance of a car, paying for insurance, and gas,” Scheidt said.
“It also helps on an emotional level, you don’t have to worry about traffic; the bus driver worries about that.”
Scheidt continued, “It helps on an economical level: for every one person that is on the bus is one car less on the road, and the air gets cleaner.”
As of 1 p.m. Wednesday, which is the census date on which the official enrollment for the fall semester is based, this district’s enrollment stood at 64,286.
Scheidt said 1,161 students purchased $35 bus passes districtwide.
The contest began Aug. 27 and all entries must be emailed by Sept. 28 to email@example.com.
Judging will be in the first week of October and winners will be notified by email.
The top eight entries will be awarded prizes.
The winner will receive a $500 cash card from VIA and this college; the first three places will receive L&M bookstore gifts in the amounts of $250, $150 and $100 gift cards.
The next four places will receive one of two $25 gift cards from the Follet-owned SAC Bookstore or one of two $25 gift cards from San Antonio Discount Textbooks.
To be considered, entries must comply with the following rules:
• Limit of three photos per contestant.
• Photos must be submitted digitally in a 72 dpi jpg format no larger than 3MB.
• Photos must be the original work of the photographer.
• Photos must have been taken after Aug. 27.
• Photos must not have been published previously.
• Photos cannot include a watermark or any other identifying mark of the photographer.
• All submissions should meet college standards of taste and propriety.
Photos that do not meet the college standards will not be considered.
• Contestants must agree all entries will become property of the college and can be used at any time without compensation.
For more information about the photography contest, call public relations officer Julie Cooper at 210-486-0882.
For information about VIA, call Scheidt at 210-362-2386 or visit www.viainfo.net.